Sunday, May 8, 2011

Agility Class

Today was our first agility class.  It was actually pretty fun.  I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would... although I'm not really a runner.  Brutus had fun too.  He did great!  He did much better than I expected.  We practiced jumping.... which we have had a little experience with.  Also did the tire jump.... which is basically a hanging hoop they jump through.  We did 2 tunnels..... one was the hard plastic tunnel, which we did in trick class, and the other was a longer tunnel.  I was surprised how quickly and easily he went through the barrel.  I thought maybe he would need a bit more coaxing, since we haven't been practicing regularily.  I was shocked that he went through the long tunnel..... and easily!  Also walked on a long plank, that will eventually be elevated off of the ground.  Lastily, he had to jump on a platform stand, and sit/stay.  There were at least 2 people that were there that weren't actually crazy about my Rottweiler.  Brutus went towards the one lady's dog, and she actually screamed... and ran... like he was attacking her.  I was pretty proud of him considering everyone was expecting the worst from him..... and turns out some of the other dogs behavior was a bit snippy.  Then...... after class, the one helper came up to Brutus and was petting him, his face area, staring at him, and he got weird with her.  Gave her the stink eye, barked and lungged.  Hmmmmm.... starting to think he has some issues with the starting thing from certain people.  Think I'm going to have to stop letting strangers approach him in that manner.  Felt bad after the incident.... I guess everyone was thinking "I told you so." 

Tomorrow we have a refresher obedience class in Bloomsburg.  Definatly need to discuss todays incident with his trainer and get some suggestions.  Maybe I need to muzzle him in some public situations.... so he doesnt get a record.

Also started my fence extension today.  Looks much better than I expected.  I would have finished, but didn't buy enough poles, and ran out of wire ties.  Will post some pictures tomorrow.  I think this will keep Brutus from jumping the fence.  It better !  He jumped twice today  while we were working on the fence on the neighbors side.  He was chained so it wasn't a big deal, but still not happy about it.  I'm sure he wouldn't have jumped if we hadn't been in the other yard, but it's still unsettling knowing he can, whenever he wants.  Guess we just started the fence extension in time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment